By: Lexi Ashbury
November 27, 2017
Becoming a member of Public Relations Student Society of America can open up so many doors for college students in their current college career and future endeavors. PRSSA’s vision is to advance the public relations profession by creating responsible pre-professionals who strive for education, champion diversity and advocate for the profession. For some members, joining their school’s PRSSA chapter was the best decision they made for their future career in the public relations field. By joining, you can enhance your education, broaden your network and also launch your career. Here are some of the many benefits PRSSA members enjoy:
- Members are given opportunities to network and interact with other students from different chapters by participating in events such as the Regional Conference and the National Conference.
- You will be able gain more experience to put on your resume and learn leadership skills by running for a leadership position in your specific chapter.
- You will have the opportunity to have your writing published nationally by posting on the PRSSA blog.
- Every member is given a MYPRSA login and with that, you can access internships, events, webinars and more.
- You will be recognized for your accomplishments through awards or scholarships given by the PRSSA National Committee.
- Through the PRSSA publications and media, members are able to stay up to date on the latest news in public relations.
- All members have access to public relations case studies which can help enhance their education.
- Members can take what they learned and compete in one of the case study competitions
- Members are given the opportunity to attend events where they will be able to network and develop relationships with business professionals.
- You will be able to connect and join discussion with other PRSSA via social media.
- Members are able to connect with professionals and get advice through the chapter’s PRSA sponsor chapter.
- The Champions for PRSSA Directory lets members browse and find professionals who are committed to supporting the PRSSA members.
- The PRSA Jobcenter lets members browse for employment opportunities.
- The PRSSA Internship Center gives members a chance to search for internships.
- PRSA Professional Interest Sections help connect members who are in specific industries such as healthcare or sports.
- By becoming a PRSA Associate Member, students are able to start networking and connect with more public relations professionals.
Specifically, in the Texas State PRSSA chapter, there are other membership benefits that we have. For instance, on Oct. 8, our chapter members attended a holiday mixer with PRSA Austin. This mixer was a great opportunity for our members to network and form relationships with professionals in Austin. On Nov. 7, our chapter went to an agency visit to Cohn & Wolfe. This visit was a great networking opportunity for our students to connect with members of an agency.
Many of our members have gotten internships by attending these social events and gain opportunities they would not have gotten otherwise. Overall, joining PRSSA is beneficial for college students who hope to have a career in public relations. For more information, click here to check out the PRSSA national website.